Bridge Street Quarter Regeneration – Warrington Market and the Masterplan Framework

Key Outputs

Executive Summary – Key Outputs

To recap – the Masterplan identifies three phases of development:

Phase One
A food store of 6,800sqm (2,600sqm at mezzanine level); a market of 4,356sqm; retail space of 6,270sqm; offices totalling 1,093sqm. An underground car park with 555 parking spaces (200 for food store). Sixty apartments.

Phase Two
A new hotel/JJB/offices/residential block; additional retail space of 1,425sqm; additional offices totalling 4,353 sqm. An additional eighty-five apartments.

Phase Three
A further ninety apartments.

Analysis – Market 4,356sqm

Warrington has been a market town since 1277: originally held at the crossing point of the town’s four main streets, Market Gate; it moved to a large, open space by the heath to the north-west of the town, sometime before 1465. It remained there for just over 500 years when it was moved to its present site, west of Upper Bank Street, in the 1970s and the Victorian Market halls demolished for the Golden Square indoor shopping centre.

The ‘considerable’ market of medieval times was noted for linen cloth, corn, cattle, provisions, and fish, ‘particularly lampreys’. (This latter strength is still evident today with a Warrington stall holder winning Young Fishmonger of the Year in 2010.)  The modern-day market, based in a 1970s purpose-built Market Hall, contains 200 stalls and 130 independent businesses and is claimed by the council on its website to be one of the largest in the North West.

Continue reading

Advertisements